Wednesday, September 25, 2013

New / old music

From time to time you'll be talking to a friend about the greatness of (insert band name here) and realize that your friend has not even heard them before. Conversation usually goes something like this:

Dude #1 - "Man, Walk Together Rock Together is my favorite 7 Seconds record."
Dude #2 - "Yeah, I've never listened to that record."
Dude #1 - "Get out of my car!" (Mind you, the car is still moving.) 
  
That is no different here at D.C. Sniper Headquarters. The newest band that I have not bothered to listen to over the years is Angry Samoans. I was told to check out their album "Back From Samoa" because it is "politically incorrect by today's standards, but funny and really tight musically." Well, that description had me intrigued. A quick Google search supplied me with the track listing for this album and I was floored. Songs like "Gas Chamber", "They Saved Hitler's Cock" and "Homo-sexual" stood out like a sore thumb. If these songs are considered to be funny, then I am in store for some crude ass humor.


Musically tight? Check. Politically incorrect? CHECK! Holy shit, I feel like I just got into my Delorean and traveled to the year 1985. I'm not going to lie and say that the lyrics aren't funny to me, because they are. On more than one song, I was laughing out loud at the sheer absurdity and all around silliness of their lyrics. "If Hitler's cock could start to talk, It would say to kill today." That's just goofy, but it made me laugh. Songs like "Homo-sexual" and "Ballad Of Jerry Curlan" would be considered homophobic nowadays, to say the least, but I was singing along. "You Stupid Jerk" sounds like childish trash talk you would hear at the playground, but put to music. But my favorite song so far is "Lights Out".



This record is catchy as hell and I am now looking to get my hands on a good digital copy of it for my commutes to work. Come to think of it, who's more lame? Me, for not listening to this record all these years? Or him, for raving about this album, only to tell me that he doesn't have it in any format and that I can just listen to it on YouTube? Me thinks it's the latter.

D.C.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment