Friday, February 28, 2014

Parents and punk

Many moons ago, I was introduced to the greatness of the Misfits, Samhain and Danzig. I couldn't get enough of the music and got my hands on all things done by those bands. The artwork for records like Earth A.D. and Initium and was so cool to a young punk like me. Unfortunately, my mother didn't share my enthusiasm for this awesome artwork that went along with the righteous jams...




So one day, I come home from school and I'm ready to rock out to some records instead of doing homework. (Standard procedure for me back then.) I go up to my room and to my horror, I see bits and pieces of paper on my bed and on the floor. Now, I had a dog back then, so it was entirely possible that my pooch got into something and chewed it up. But my door was closed and unless my puppy developed opposable thumbs and turned my knob, there was no way that she got into my room.

After closer inspection, I see that it's not exactly paper. It was a cardboard-like paper that was black and white and had some pieces with words or just a couple of letters on them. Then it hit me. I had recently purchased the first Danzig video tape that had the interviews and music for the first record.

 
Imagine this ripped up in a million pieces on your bedroom floor.

I freak out and begin to question my family as to what happened to the cover and more importantly, what happened to the VHS tape inside of it? My old man just looked at me like "what the fuck are you talking about? Can't you see that I'm watching Three's Company?" I ask my siblings and they give me the standard "like I would go into your messy room!" Then I get to mama dukes...

Me: Mom! Do you know what happened to my VHS tape that is all shredded up in my room?! I can't find the tape either!

Mrs. I hate all cool things related to Danzig: You mean that satanic trash that you brought into my house!

Me: Whatever! What happened to it?!

Mrs. I hate all cool things related to Danzig: I went into your room to put your clothes away and saw that trash in your room and I ripped it up and threw the tape away.

Me: YOU DID WHAT?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

Mrs. I hate all cool things related to Danzig:  If I find anything else in this house like that, I am going to throw it away too!

Me: YOU OWE ME A NEW ONE! (In my infinite wisdom, I thought for a second, that she would actually feel bad and replace it. Then I remembered that she literally ripped up the box into a million pieces. She took her time with that thing. Kinda like Kevin Spacey's serial killer character in the movie "Seven".)

At the end of the day, I found my VHS tape in the trash with the tape ripped out and looking like a big ball of tumble weed ready to roll out of the garage. She never replaced the tape (obviously) and I made sure to hide my records that could meet the same fate. Could you imagine if she had found my Lucifuge LP with the upside down cross insert or my Dead Kennedy's - In God We Trust LP? Oof...

D.C.S.






No comments:

Post a Comment