Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Let's talk about Millions Of Dead Cops

Well, Adult Crash is currently driving up to the in-laws with his old lady and his mini-crew, so I'm holding down the fort while he's gone. I'm not going to get into any political discussion on here because I would rather keep it fun. Having said that, the situation over in Ferguson, MO reminded me of a conversation that I had with Adult Crash before he left. Do you like M.D.C.? I remember asking him if he liked them because I had never really given them a real chance. As it turns out, he never really gave them a chance either. Apparently, we're the only two jackasses in the scene to be clueless about them. So I'm going to give them a listen and see what I've been missing out on.


First things first, I love the artwork. It's something that definitely grabs your attention. I remember being a young punk and seeing that for the first time at a record store and having to do a double take. I thought it was cool but at the same time, I had some mixed feelings about it. I was still new to this thing that we call hardcore/punk and didn't know about the friction between punks and cops/society in general. Obviously, I learned all about it over the years.



The song titles on this record are about what you would expect from a band in the 80's. The only thing missing is an anti-Reagan song. I'm sure they took care of that in later records.

Anyway, I'm digging Dave Dictor's vocals. A lot. He has a certain urgency with his delivery that sounds great. Musically, they sound pretty killer. Actually, they sound a lot better than I expected. Songs like "Corporate Deathburger", "Kill The Light" and "Church & State" are immediate favorites after the first listen. But overall, this whole record is pretty awesome.

Lyrically, I'm impressed with their stance on Homophobia with their song "America's So Straight". I can't think of many forward thinking songs in hardcore from back then. I mean sticking up for gays was just not as popular as making jokes based on stereotypes. I'm getting too serious here....Moving on.



"John Wayne Was A Nazi" is amusing and "Greedy & Pathetic" just rocks. Pretty solid record here. I think I just got something new to listen to over the holiday weekend.

D.C.S.





No comments:

Post a Comment