Monday, December 15, 2014

Giving Unit Pride a second chance

Well it's Christmas time and Adult Crash is busy doing the family thing. Typical stuff...putting up Christmas lights, tree and trip to see Santa. All things that this Scrooge is not doing. I wonder if I'm in store for a horror story of screaming kids on Santa's lap? Not his kids, but the other ones that will be there.

Anyway, I saw an advertisement from Mankind Records promoting some Unit Pride shirts that were made. This is a band that I know little about, but I remember liking one song by them. I guess I didn't like it enough to listen to the rest of their music and so my MP3's have been collecting digital dust for the better part of a decade. I decided to give them another listen and see if I made the right choice in ignoring them all these years.


I don't even know what I have here, but it seems to be an E.P. called "Can't Kill A Dream" based on the artwork I have for it. This is some pretty good straight up posi-hardcore. "Wide Awake" is the song I liked way back when and it still holds up for me now. But there is a monkey wrench in here. What is the deal with the song "Can't Kill A Dream"? It doesn't sound ANYTHING like the rest of the songs on here. Quite frankly, it sounds like a chorus of Care Bears were singing "friendship means the world to me, FRIENDSHIP!" And then you have Barney from Napalm Death singing "You Can't....Kill....A Fucking Dream!" The song sounds great and I wish there was a 7" of more songs that sound like it. Sounds a little rough, but it sounds HARD. So what's the deal with it?  Is it another singer? Demo song? I mean it's night and day. Anyway, I am digging all of these songs a lot and I don't know why I passed on them all these years? It's right up my alley.

I texted Adult Crash about them and this is how it went...

Me: Hey, what do you think of Unit Pride?

Him: "I like the Nerve Agents better."

Me: What do you think of this song? (Can't Kill A Dream)

Him: "Meh. Morrissey is better."

Me: (Rolling my eyes)

D.C.S.

PS: If you're interested in those reprinted shirts you can just click on the link below. Enjoy. 
mankindrecords.storenvy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment