Wednesday, December 24, 2014

A weekend of shows in D.C.

The D.C. Sniper Team takes in a show. Actually, no we didn't. Adult Crash is too busy being Dad of the year and couldn't go to the show. He probably went to see the Nutcracker Ballet for all I know. He is so whipped. Anyway, I almost double booked myself for this past weekend since another friend of mine told me that Too $hort was coming to town. I mean who wouldn't want to see $horty The Pimp?! But I had already gotten my ticket for Soulside a while back, so no dice.

Now, the worst kept secret in D.C. this past week or so was that Swiz had been added to the bill. I was curious to see what they were like live. If you read our entry around this time last year, I said that I wasn't a big fan of Swiz but, I like Red Hare. As it turns out, I got to see both on Friday night at the Give record release at Comet Ping Pong in D.C. 


Red Hare sounded awesome live but the venue could've been better. No stage means that I was going to be looking past a bunch of heads and cell phones in the air. That kind of sucked, but what are you gonna do? If my memory is right, they played about 4 songs and in the middle of their set they gave their drummer a break to take a "leak" and replaced him with another guy and voila! Swiz was on stage!


They ripped into 4 songs that were fucking awesome! How did I not see the greatness of these songs years ago? After they ripped my face off with those songs, they got their drummer off and brought back their Red Hare drummer and finished their set. I have to say that I really like Red Hare live. Hadn't been able to see them until this weekend and I'm so glad I did. I'm hoping to see some new tunes from them in the future. If you haven't gotten their debut LP, Nites of Midnight, then get off your ass and get it! Or if you're lucky, you'll get it for Christmas like yours truly did last year. BOOM!

Next up was Give and they came out with guns-a-blazing! I saw them at Damaged City and was intrigued, but haven't listened to anything by them since then. I don't know what they have out or what they played that night, but it sounded great. They had all the energy in the world and rocked that place. I had to enjoy it from the back by the sound-man because it was just getting to be a bit too hot in that place. All in all, they were killer and I'm officially a fan.

Saturday night was the big night. Soulside, Swiz and Moss Icon at the Black Cat. I had a hell of a time trying to find parking and caught the last 10 minutes of Moss Icon and I couldn't have been more bored. Holy crap...It was some of the most boring, slow jams I've ever heard. (And I don't mean the slow jams you and your girl listen to when you're trying to make sexy-time.) So glad I didn't find a parking spot so quick and so close because I would've been ripping my hair out.


Swiz comes out and the place is buzzing. They sounded just as awesome as they did the night before and I really dug it. I don't know what they played since I'm not familiar with their music, but it was good. My only complaint was the lack of appreciation when they covered "Familiar" by G.I. Their Void cover right after that was far more appreciated, but I liked them both. I thought they put on a good show and after this weekend, I have a bigger appreciation for Swiz. Good stuff.



Soulside comes out and I'm getting excited. Again, I haven't been waiting for this as long as other long time fans have, but I have grown to really like this band over the last couple of months. They did not disappoint. I thought they sounded just as good live as they do on their records. They belted out like 18 songs which might've been a bit much, but I didn't care. I really enjoyed their set and their encore included my favorite song "Name In Mind".


All in all it was a great weekend and what an awesome way to close out 2014! I got to see a couple of kick ass shows and Adult Crash was probably at the mall buying gifts for his tribe. This is how I picture it.


D.C.S.





No comments:

Post a Comment