Monday, April 21, 2014

Damaged City Fest 2014

Another year and another Damaged City Fest has come and gone. SR. Adult Crash Correspondent couldn't make it because of "family obligations" (he clearly doesn't have his priorities straight). But yours truly was there, front and center, diving and dancing. Ok, I was there, but I was doing no diving or dancing. This old timer watched the show from the safety of the back room.

I could only make it to Saturday's show because of family obligations (mine are more legit). The Flex (UK) might've been the biggest surprise for me that day. I've heard of them, but had yet to hear any of their music. And they sounded pretty fucking good! All I know is that the whole place went ape shit during their set. Bodies flying everywhere and the mosh was in full effect. Their set looked like something I would've watched a thousand times as a kid. So glad that I was no where near the front because there were stage dives a plenty. I actually ventured up front to get a short video of their set and I immediately retreated to the back of the place again. Crazy kids..



Another band that was pretty cool was Waste Management. Again, heard of them, but never heard them. I'm sure it's been said before, but the singer sounds exactly like Springa. Dead ringer. The band was badass. They have a power violence-ish type of sound and I love it. Don't know what they have out, but I'm looking. You can add another killer band from Massachusetts to the ever growing list.

Culo was at the fest again this year and they still don't do it for me. They didn't last year and they still don't this year. Having said that, I will say that the singers stage dives made me laugh. He looked like a torpedo diving into the crowd and I was convinced that he was gonna get back up on stage with a busted nose or something. Much like last year, they got a good response. Good for them. I may not dig their sound, but it seems like a lot of others do.

Give is a band that I've been wanting to check out for some time. I see people raving about them, but I've somehow managed to miss every show they've played in the D.C. area. Well, this year I got to see what all the hubbub was about and they were pretty good. Not what I expected at all. Kinda reminded me of Soulside and other old D.C. bands from the Revolution Summer days. In any case, they have a cool sound that I get into.


The two bands I really wanted to see on Saturday were the big hitters closing out the night. Boston Strangler and Infest. This was my first time seeing Boston Strangler live and they did not disappoint. Holy fucking shit were they awesome. I was loving every minute of their set and if there was a complaint to be made, it was that I wanted them to play a couple more songs. The crowd showed them the love they deserved and I can't wait for them to come back to town. Great band!

Been wanting to see Infest ever since they got back together and I can finally die happy. I've seen videos of their shows over the last year or so and they sound great. At Damaged City, it was no different. They belted out about 20 minutes worth of hits and the crowd ate it up. I was happy to see them get a good response. I can safely say that they are on a short list of bands doing reunion shows that sound good. Like, really fucking good. Much like Boston Strangler, I wish they could have played longer. But then again, I didn't want to be there all night long.

People watching:

One thing that struck me as odd at the show was all the disposable cameras I saw. It wasn't like I saw one or two. I probably saw like 20! First of all, those things are still being made? And since they're obviously still out there, who would want to use such an ancient piece of shit to take photos? You're better off taking a mental photograph, it would look better! I wonder if all those kids were using beepers too?

I also couldn't help but notice the two photographers on stage that could have easily been mistaken for extra members of each band that played that day. Now, I'm sure their fancy cameras were used to take some nice photos of the bands and the crowd, but did they have to set up shop at the front of the stage next to the band? Check out the video's I posted above and you'll see these two guys on the right side of the stage taking pictures. Any closer to the band and they might as well have been putting the mic out to the crowd for sing alongs!

All in all it was a great show in our nation's Capitol. Props to Nicktape, Chris Moore and whoever else helped them put on this fest. They run a tight ship and know how to keep things moving. If only more shows were this organized. Looking forward to next year.

D.C.S.


No comments:

Post a Comment